Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Video games can be educational!

The topic of education being hindered by video games is something that usually comes up in the media, at least from time to time. The general consensus of the baby boomer generation is that video games provide no real purpose other than to be mind numbing forms of brain deprivation. Even though there has been journals written on the help that video game stimulation has on the brain. I really don't understand that generation's hate of science, it is quite sad really.

However, it is time for me to get to my point! A mathematics professor at my school, and one who I have had a fair amount of classes with, recently won an award for her paper, "A ĎModíern Mathematical Adventure in CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS." This paper discusses the use of linear algebra and modular arithmetic in order to solve the easter egg puzzle of the Call of the Dead zombie map. I am sure most of you who have worked toward this easter egg remember the part in the lighthouse where you have to turn the knobs in order to have them all face the right way. The more you turn one, the more the ones above and below turn, and so on and so forth. The puzzle can be a pain in the side unless you get lucky, or are good at puzzles. However, if you are good at math and can determine the initial conditions, you can solve the puzzle very easily. And that is just what my professor did. Her and her husband solved the puzzle using basic linear algebra and modular arithmetic. If you want to learn more about it, you can read the full paper here. It goes into greater detail about the mathematical techniques used, and is explained in a teaching sort of way.

If you don't wish to read her journal, you can read my summary of her colloquium talk on the paper below. It is written at a student level and may be a little easier to understand, though I think she does a good job explaining it in her paper. Though I am also a math major and have learned all the techniques she has used.

Using algebra to solve a problem in Call of Duty does not exactly seem like a viable option. However, Dr. Hulsizer showed that algebra can be used to solve the problem in Call of Duty, through the use of a technique known as congruence modulo n, a technique discussed in algebraic structures. Dr. Hulsizer went on to talk about how the problem of turning dials in order to achieve four different values on the dial could easily be solved using congruence mod n and solving a system of equations. This talk was a great way to see how math can be used in real world scenarios that may seem to be math exclusive. It was definitely eye opening to see how something learned in an abstract algebra class could be applied to a real world scenario, and actually see real results.
    To the final point of this thread, don't let people tell you video games cannot teach you! Though I would never use video games as a complete substitute for other extra curricular education, it is not the "turn your brain into soup" monster that most older people think that it is.

"Huc venite iuvenes ut exeatis viri. Come here as boys so you may leave as men."

2. Thanks lolensaken thanked for this post
    Recruitment Officer
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the record, I am considered a genius among my friends and have the IQ and a Top Secret job to prove it. Not once in my life did I study outside of school. You know what I did for 2 years straight at home? Play Gmod. .......... so yeah...

but seriously kids, show some moderation on games and focus on school as well.

4. Thanks SteveMagic thanked for this post
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    For the record, I am considered a genius among my friends and have the IQ and a Top Secret job to prove it. Not once in my life did I study outside of school. You know what I did for 2 years straight at home? Play Gmod. .......... so yeah...

but seriously kids, show some moderation on games and focus on school as well.
    What the fuck did you just fucking type about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class at MIT, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids with Anonymous, and I have over 300 confirmed DDoSes. I am trained in online trolling and I’m the top hacker in the entire world. You are nothing to me but just another virus host. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on the Internet, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with typing that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As I reply I am tracing your IP with my damn bare hands so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your computer. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can hack into your files in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in hacking, but I have access to the entire arsenal of every piece of malware ever created and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the world wide web, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking fingers. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit code all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
    Last edited by Conman; 07-29-2015 at 11:11 PM.

Recruitment Officer
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was interesting.

Recruitment Officer

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conman View Post
    What the fuck did you just fucking type about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class at MIT, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids with Anonymous, and I have over 300 confirmed DDoSes. I am trained in online trolling and I’m the top hacker in the entire world. You are nothing to me but just another virus host. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on the Internet, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with typing that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As I reply I am tracing your IP with my damn bare hands so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your computer. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can hack into your files in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in hacking, but I have access to the entire arsenal of every piece of malware ever created and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the world wide web, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking fingers. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit code all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
    That was a thing. i got sore from reading that. Some of "you " Americans take jokes way to far.
    sometimes i wonder if im ever alone.

8. Thanks SteveMagic thanked for this post
    Division Manager

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conman View Post
    What in the actual fuck?
    Secure a legacy that will never die, be Immortalized! -Disturbed

LoL Division
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Have you all never seen the original copypasta that this is coming from? It's from the navy seal copypasta. Surely you guys have seen

"What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? Iíll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and Iíve been involved in secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and Iím the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my words. You think you can get away with saying shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. Youíre fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and thatís just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little ďcleverĒ comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your tongue. You didnít, and now youíre paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit all over you and you will drown in it. Youíre fucking dead, kiddo."
    Conman's is just a variation of it.

"Huc venite iuvenes ut exeatis viri. Come here as boys so you may leave as men."

11. Thanks Conman, Shink thanked for this post

Thread Footer