Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Private (and Locked) Channels

NOTE: I know there was an older thread about this issue, however I cannot find it and it would be one hell of a necro so I decided to make a new thread.

I have noticed that many people will be sitting in private channels - mainly USMC's - for a majority of the day. I am aware that the Private Channels can have good uses, however we have many other available channels on the TeamSpeak 3 server. The fact that many of the private channels, especially those commonly in use, are locked does not help at all. This demotes the idea of actually being a community or even division as a whole, but instead being a bunch of groups within one.

This makes me feel that we should not fully rid of private channels, however we should try and veer away from them when we really do not need to use them, especially because of the fact that we have channels for pretty much everything. Especially if you lock the private channels.

2. Thanks MachetePanda, lolensaken, Super Cats, Goshawk thanked for this post
    Operations Leader

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought we eliminated this problem when Nolan essentially banned himself.

Seems I was mistaken. Yea, would be nice if we had people being more of a community by using the pub channels.

Break out of your shells people! :P

4. Thanks lolensaken, Russianflood, Shink, theREAL_ILJohn thanked for this post
    GMod Division
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thing is that the private channels aren't really an issue at this point. A lot of our public channels have people in and out of them daily. The conclusion we came to in the past with this topic is that private channels are there for a reason, Privacy. Now people don't have to stay in them all the time. However if they decide to, it's their channel to do so.

To balance this issue we decided the best way is to up recruitment. That's partially your job as well as the other RO's. If you need any assistance with recruitment, feel free to contact me and we will try to get you some help if needed.
    "You miss 100% of the chances you don't take."

6. Thanks Fluffypuffsr thanked for this post
    Recruitment Officer

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreyu View Post
    That's partially your job as well as the other RO's.
    so.. me then

but yea.

we do need more people, also remember, that your school term/finals are finishing up, so *HOPEFULLY* we should have an influx of peoples
    sometimes i wonder if im ever alone.

8. Thanks lolensaken thanked for this post
    Server Administrator
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I typically sit in the lounge waiting and greeting people. Once someone invites me to something then I will go into a pub channel with them. I like the idea of private channels because I will, majority of the time, be playing something and do not want to be disturb with my friends and people join and ruin it. Private channels are amazing but I do encourage people to be more open to public channels and hangout with people you don't know. But you can't hate on private channels, this person is paying for it so they have every single right to use it as they please. So that is my thought on this and I say we do not take this thread any longer because this was already dealt with and is not a problem.
    "Cowards die many times before their deaths: The valiant never taste of death but once."- William Shakespeare

10. Thanks Goshawk, SteveMagic thanked for this post
    Division Manager

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My channel is open 97% of the time, I usually only lock it when I'm streaming, I welcome people with open arms! :P
    Secure a legacy that will never die, be Immortalized! -Disturbed

Operations Leader

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russianflood View Post
    I typically sit in the lounge waiting and greeting people. Once someone invites me to something then I will go into a pub channel with them. I like the idea of private channels because I will, majority of the time, be playing something and do not want to be disturb with my friends and people join and ruin it. Private channels are amazing but I do encourage people to be more open to public channels and hangout with people you don't know. But you can't hate on private channels, this person is paying for it so they have every single right to use it as they please. So that is my thought on this and I say we do not take this thread any longer because this was already dealt with and is not a problem.
    To make something abundantly clear on "it's dealt with"... If people are going to negatively affect the clan by whoring private channels beyond reason.... We will remove them as an option for purchase and let current channels expire.

I'd really prefer not to go down that road, but honestly would be appreciated if people (this isn't at you....) would be more proactive in inviting guests / being cheerful to people in lobby.

Isn't just the RO's / SA's / Admins job to recruit people. People who want a gaming clan to hang out in, should probably think about how they can be part of the solution.

13. Thanks Russianflood, SteveMagic thanked for this post
    LoL Division
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fine I'll come out of my channel to talk with all of those new recruits... Oh wait

Shots fired get down!
    The Smash Prodigy Himself, Zero Suit Slammus.

15. Thanks lolensaken thanked for this post
    Server Administrator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said before, I realize that there are times when private channels have their uses, however it is not much of a community if 1/2 of the people are locked up, especially for things like playing a game of League. What I mean by this is that although peacefulness is important for games like League, the point of being in a community and its server is to actually talk and play with the community, in which case if you want peace you don't need to use Teamspeak. This wouldn't always apply, as sometimes TS3 is the easiest option, which is why I think private channels should stay, I jut feel they should be used less.

Also no shots fired usmc, not the ROs' fault that we have games that can be hard to recruit for, other than gmod which is pretty dead from what I can tell :P

17. Thanks Atreyu, SteveMagic thanked for this post

Thread Footer