Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Switch to Xenforo

I think we can all agree that with the advent of vBulletin 5, vB is dead as a future forum platform. I advocate for a complete switch over to Xenforo by next year around the time that @MachetePanda is planning on getting a custom theme. The reasons for this change are too numerous to count, and I think it would be very beneficial for the entirety of this gaming community. Xenforo is by far the best forum platform.

Remember, plan for the future...

Operations Leader

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feel pretty confident saying I'd rather custom design a whole forums software from the ground up than use Xenforo.

Pretty sure Machete feels the same way.

I'm not saying Vbulletin is the solution either. But eh, you're right. There are definitely countless reasons to ditch Vbulletin, and Xenforo does fix some of them.

:P

Owner

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking about switching to something else too. Probably not Xenforo. But a CMS solution like Joomla or Durpal. Not sure.

But it is something I have thought of.

GMod Division
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MachetePanda View Post
    I've been thinking about switching to something else too. Probably not Xenforo. But a CMS solution like Joomla or Durpal. Not sure.

But it is something I have thought of.
    And ditch the forum aspect completely?

Operations Leader

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd assume a switch to a more traditionally used CMS in industry (like wordpress / joomla / etc) would include a custom built forums software.

If none of the current software's meet our needs, I see no issue spending a couple thousand USD to build a different one from the ground up.

I believe sourcing funding for such a project would be rather easy as well.

Failing all that, I'm personally quite happy with Vbulletin at the end of the day. It is currently viable, and we are not currently interested in looking years into the future.

So eh, we'll see

Owner

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    And ditch the forum aspect completely?
    Well there are forum solutions, blog solutions, article solutions social networking solution that all plug into Joomla and Drupal. The question would be, how much of that do we want to buy or freeware from the respective dev communities and how much we want to just custom build.

Right now vB supplies all our needs. Maybe one day it will come to departing ways with vB. but yeah... I have yet to see a vB 5 site that I like the execution of.

Operations Leader

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MachetePanda View Post
    Well there are forum solutions, blog solutions, article solutions social networking solution that all plug into Joomla and Drupal. The question would be, how much of that do we want to buy or freeware from the respective dev communities and how much we want to just custom build.

Right now vB supplies all our needs. Maybe one day it will come to departing ways with vB. but yeah... I have yet to see a vB 5 site that I like the execution of.
    In theory, if we have a custom theme dev'd for VB, we'd want to make it compatible for Vb 5 as well as legacy for vb 4.

As you said, there's no good vb 5 gaming themes out atm. If we made a bad ass one, we could resell it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Major necro here, but please vB feels like vista and Xenforo is Windows 7. I've used both vB and Xenforo user side and I can say that I prefer Xenforo by FAR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezio Auditore Da Firenze
    Those who follow orders unquestioning them are as bad as those who order them.

9. Thanks MachetePanda thanked for this post
    Operations Leader

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharqman View Post
    Major necro here, but please vB feels like vista and Xenforo is Windows 7. I've used both vB and Xenforo user side and I can say that I prefer Xenforo by FAR.
    While we respect your opinion on Xenforo, both Machete and I patently disagree.

Xenforo is not a valid option. That being said, we have been / are currently looking at different CMS / forums options.

Although I'd like to keep this all in perspective. We're a gaming clan. This website is pretty far beyond what most gaming clans offer.

And please refrain from necroing shit from years ago. /closed

11. Thanks SaintSin, MachetePanda, sharqman thanked for this post

Thread Footer